Sector Importance for Sustainable Finance:
Cement is the industry sector that produces the most GHG emissions globally.
This sector generates approximately 7% of global GHG emissions. Cement is the second most common product globally after water hence it is extremely important.
Cement is difficult to substitute and really our whole built world uses cement. Decarbonization of industry is incomplete without tackling the challenges that face us in the cement industry.
- Are building codes holding innovation in the sector back?
- What are the best solutions to decarbonize this industry?
- How much can alternate substances such as bamboo structures or efficient design help in the decarbonization of cement?
- Unlike some other industries 60% plus of all emissions are process related i.e. mainly from the calcination of limestone therefore how do we deal with this fundamental process and decarbonize it?
- Holcim: Linked Loans
- Cemex: Sustainability Linked Bond
- Cementios: Sustainability Linked Loan
- Heidelberg Cement: Linked facilities