Sector Importance for Sustainable Finance:
Overall mining contributes approximately 7- 8% of Global GHG emissions. This is substantial, however, must be balanced against the fact we need many critical minerals & metals, in order to move to a low-carbon economy.
As an example, electric vehicles use 6-7x the amount of critical metals versus a conventional car.
The mining industry is very global, and it is certainly not a one-size-fits-all industry, therefore Sustainable Finance can help Mining companies in their sustainability journey so let us take a deeper look…
- Which metals and minerals do we really need for a transition to net zero?
- Scope 3 is very important for some commodities?
- What does good look like?
- For mixed mining operations how do we decarbonize these?
- How to we compare decarbonization pathways in different locations
- Fortescue: Sustainability Bond
- NewMont: Sustainability Linked Loan